Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Trend Alert: Colored Denim

It seems that the newest SS07 trend is actually a combination of the 70's/80's throwback and the need to brighten up our lives-- and our wardrobes-- as the weather turns warm once again.
The concept is simple, take the acid-wash of the 80's to the next level by adding bright color and a modern shape, be it skinny, or the more 70's-inspired high waist and wide leg.


This piece by Grey Ant is a more practical way to wear the latter style, with a happy medium in both the waist and leg. They are still classified under "high-waisted," but it's a manageable one, rather the extremes that we've been seeing with celebs. The leg, though flared and 70's-esque, is not too wide as to be overwhelming, once again, as we've seen alot of the fashion-forward stars doing lately. And, of course, they offer the refreshing wash of color that marks this trend.


Grey Ant Essentials Jean in Blue, $209 [yikes!], Azalea Online

If pastels are your thing, Urban Outfitters offers a few color options for you. These are also great if you want color, but not an overwhelming amount.
Lux Pastel Skinny Jean, $68, Urban Outfitters, Available in Blue, Pink and Lilac (shown)
Now, my first question when I noticed the prevalence of colored denim in stores was "how on earth would you wear something like that?" Well, I've finally come up with not one, but two, answers to that question.
The first, and more obvious, is best illustrated by a celeb who somehow seems to hit these crazy denim trends in just the right way, Victoria Beckham. The key to this look is the fact that the denim takes center stage, and everything else is neutral (black is the easiest way to go, but you can play around with the colors a little if you want).
However, there is one problem with this look for those of us who don't necessarily want to accentuate our bottom half but still preserve our trendiness (Because, let's face it, not all of us can pull off the looks that Victoria Beckham can). If this is the case, pick a top and accessories that compliment the color of your pants while not competing with them. Here's an example.

Free People Embellished Cami, $36, Urban Outfitters

Lux Technicolor Skinny Jean, $68, Urban Outfitters



As you can see, the olive and blue colors in the cami offer a break between the bright yellow pants and the more greeny-yellow in the top, while still allowing the colors to coordinate well. You can pair this look with flats in a muted neutral tone, a plain bag, and any kind of nature-inspired jewelry (Once again, it can be quite fun to play around with the different color combos).

I'm completely open to any other ideas for wearing this trend, but as far as I'm concerned, the above two are not only idiot-proof, but versatile. Now, if only the skies would clear up and let that sun out, I might actually get in the mood to try this trend.

7 comments:

Couture Bowl said...

I've been debating this look since I saw VB and Ashlee Simpson rock the same electric blue denim. I still don't think I could pull it off but I loved your second outfit with the yellow jeans. More of a neutral than the day-glo I've been seeing else where.

Beth said...

I bought those Grey Ant Essential jeans, and they're extremely cute. Like you said, the waist isn't overly high. And the lack of pockets prevents unsightly bunching when you sit down. But beware, they're super long! I'm 5'10" and they're way too long on me (which never happens). I'm have to have them hemmed.

Jessorz said...

Beth - There may actually be a reason why they're long, because the 70's style calls for wide leg jeans and a pair of fairly substantial platforms. However, the part about that style that I don't get is that you can't even see the shoes anyway! haha. So I think getting them hemmed is definitely a way to make them more modern, and so you don't look and feel like you're walking on stilts!

Frapp said...

I'd love Victoria's jeans, ut I wouldn't look nearly as stylish as she does in them. I'd definitely go with the all black with a splash of colour option. Linked you by the way!

Jessorz said...

Frapp - I like Victoria's jeans too, and I've actually been trying to find some in a similar bright blue color, but to no avail. I may take Rachel from StyleBites' advice and just dye a pair [another cheap option that I didn't address, but it could take several tries to get the color right].

Unknown said...

These are pretty bright (click here)

these are "electric blue" (click here)

i like the electric blue look - cute!

:) D

Anonymous said...

primark now do a variety of colours for about 10 quid each and for once the quality doesn't seem too bad either... or alternatively, you coulkd check out urban outfitters or topshop for slightly more expensive options...