Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Bright Eyes: Edgy or Just Plain Trashy?

Okay, before we get into the actual meat of this post, I would like to share with you the spoils of my first shopping spree in two whole months. [Aren't you proud of me?] Since I started my new job, I've been trying to save more money than I spend [Which gets difficult at times, but it's worth it], which means that I've had to forgo many opportunities to splurge. Well, I finally decided that enough is enough and that I can't keep myself from the mall for much longer, so I did some serious shopping the other day - but still managed to come away with some seriously fab steals.


My favorite? This great summery bag from Rue21. [on SALE, can you believe it? It's quickly becoming my favorite poor, yet fashionable college kid store] I've already found several uses for it. It makes the perfect pick-me-up for those lazy days [which, for me, is 4 or 5 days a week], and it makes me feel totally fabulous in my jeans-and-college-t-shirt ensemble while doing the "holy crap I'm going to be late for class" powerwalk.

I'm in love.

Now for the trend. Glamour really got a jump on this one back in March, as it's now late April and we're just now beginning to (sortof) see it on the streets. Basically what this entails is simple, bright, cheery colors that bring the focus straight to your eyes. You can do a single color (yellow seems to be all the rage at the moment) and blend it out, or mix it up with two, even three! You can wing it out at the edges, put it on the top lids only, or line top and bottom lids with different colors, and set it all off perfectly with simple black mascara and understated cheeks and lips.

Here's a photo I snagged from one of Glamour's blogs of Perez Hilton rocking this look. [He went a bit overboard if you ask me.]

The only place I've seen this done in a somewhat cute matter was, surprisingly, at my old high school's prom, where my friend Megan [on the left] set off her springy dress with yellow eyeliner and shadow! [I hope she doesn't hate me for using this picture here]

If you're into this look, you can get the products in several shades and price ranges. For the makeup conisseur [sp? I'm having some serious issues today] with a few extra dollars to spend, try Givenchy Prisme Again! Eyeshadow Quartet, $50, which comes in seven different color combos [Brown Caress Pictured] ranging from mild to intense and are great for experimenting with the technicolor look. Available at Sephora.


A bit more "wallet friendly" solution is MAC Cosmetics. They have not only the Pandamonium Eyes Quad, $36, with beautifully matched colors, but they also have a wide range of single shadows (162 shades, to be exact) at $14 each, which allows you to experiment even more freely for less cost.

So, what do you think of this trend? Edgy or Trashy? You be the judge.

1 comment:

Couture Bowl said...

Thanks for visiting! Link exchange sounds great...I have had a lot of fun reading your blog!