Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Oh, to be rich...

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!! Today, I'm going to try something new for my blog, as a little special treat to you. Something I've never done before. Ready? Here goes.

Over the years, I've gradually fallen more and more in love with Diane Von Furstenburg. However, her most recent collection on shopbop has completely taken my breath away.
That is, until I remembered the price tags.

Diane Von Furstenburg Renny Wrap Dress, $325, Shopbop

The price of beauty happens to be far too high for the average college student [such as myself]. But if I actually had $300-$400 to spend on a dress, I would definitely snatch up one of Diane's.

So, I decided to make it my mission to find equally [or almost-equally] stunning pieces that create the same effect without breaking my already severely stretched wallet.

Impossible? Let's hope not.

After searching far and wide on the good ol' internet, I came to this acceptable conclusion:

Obviously, Diane Von Furstenburg's innovative designs are impossible to duplicate, BUT there are inexpensive alternatives to achieve the same styling effect.

So, I've taken two of DVF's magnificent creations and their [for lack of a better word - cheaper] counterparts, comparing them side-by-side and offering you tips along the way to make your clothes look high-end, when in reality, they're far from it.

First up: The Classic DVF Wrap Dress, modernized for this spring season with a bit shorter skirt.

As you can see, these pieces are quite similar. Both have the half sleeves; similar structure, length, and V-neck; and an eye-catching print. However, the Diane Von Furstenburg dress is an outfit in itself. The latter will need just a bit of updating. Since the print is a bit more drab than the DVF number, I would suggest dressing it up a bit with a large medallion necklace. Add a nice pair of pumps and you're good to go!

Diane Von Furstenburg Jeanne Wrap Dress, $325, Shopbop; and GoJane Lainey Dress, $38.99, GoJane.com

Next is something fairly new from Diane, a sweaterdress, presumably a product of her fall collection, compared to a piece from Urban Outfitters, the epitome of chic for teens and twenty-somethings.

This is one of my favorite looks because of its simplicity and functionality. Both dresses can easily be paired with leggings or tights and boots for a cozy winter look.

Now for the comparison. Both pieces have a similar structure, as well as a large knit pattern and unique collar. The DVF dress is more visually interesting overall, due to the button details and hood. However, the less expensive competitor has long sleeves, which proves to be more functional.

Diane von Furstenburg Kody Cable Knit Sweater Dress, $415, Shopbop; and Free People Funnel Neck Sweater Tunic, sale price $49.99, Urban Outfitters

Hopefully this leads some of you more monetary-conscious fashionistas in the right direction to find unique, stylish pieces for spring and fall that won't damage your budget.

No comments: