Thursday, February 8, 2007

Headgear - yes or no?

One recurring theme on the runways this season was the use of headgear. The looks ranged from normal, everyday hats to scarves, and even more ridiculous forms of headwear.


Now, I completely understand the functional attributes of having the models wear different types of hats on the runway. However, can this concept be applied to everyday fashion?

Let's look at a couple of the more extreme examples.

Jill Stuart, Fall 2007

I'm not really sure what you can even call this furry- for lack of a better term- animal. I think the purpose of this one was to give a more wintery feel to the looks, but on the street, this would look absolutely ridiculous.

Felipe Olivera Baptista, for reasons completely unknown to me, decided to have some of his models wear horse heads - yes you heard me correctly - horse heads. The black and white variations mimicked the color pallete of most of his pieces, and also added to the horse hair motif found on the extremely high platform shoes the models wore. But, Felipe, why horses? That happens to be the last thing I think of when I think of fashion.

Erin Fetherston, Fall 2007
This look, however, is one that I can see easily translating to everyday life. It reminds me of a sequined swim cap, or winter beanie. This happens to be a more glamorous take on normal winter headwear, and maybe it could catch on.

And of course, the wearing of scarves has been around in the United States since the days of sharecroppers, and it may be the most functional type of headwear known to man.

So, what's the verdict? How do you see headgear translating from the runways to the streets, and what's your take on some of the more extreme looks on the runway this year?

No comments: