Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Coincidence?

I'm no stranger to the fact that the fashion world has an open sharing of ideas, but is it possible that two pieces by two completely different designers could be almost identical?

I was looking at an email I recieved from shopbop and I saw these stunning flats by Tory Burch.

Nappa Leather Reva Ballet Flats, $195, Shopbop

And I remembered seeing a similar style elsewhere, on Steve Madden's website. So I went back to check, and I actually found three different variations. These two were the ones that most closely resembled the Tory Burch design:

Dagny and Matrixx, $79.95 each, Steve Madden

Now, you can obviously see the similarities here. Both are a black ballet flat with a bit of a heel, and a large medallion like design on the front. Obviously each medallion design is different, but I thought it was odd that upon first glance, the Dagny style in particular, the styles looked so similar as to be indifferentiable.

However, the Steve Madden styles are obviously made of different, and much cheaper, materials, and they also come in a variety of colors and fabrics, such as metallic and patent leather.

I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions on this one. Do you have any opinions on this coincidence, and have you seen others like it?

No comments: