Monday, February 19, 2007

My Spring Beauty Picks

One of the hottest spring beauty looks involves fairly natural colors, playing down the eyes and instead making the look pop with flushed pink lips. Below are some products that I've recently discovered [or rediscovered] that will help you complete this look flawlessly.
First, you have to start with a clean palette. One great line that has always worked for me is Biore. My new favorite product is this pore unclogging scrub that not only cleanses and reduces the look of pimples, but makes your skin feel silky smooth. Plus, it smells wonderful!
Biore Pore Perfect Pore Unclogging Scrub, $6.99, Walgreens
Now, to start off your natural beauty look, whether or not you normally use foundation, this product works wonders. It's a powder compact like I've never seen before. It looks a bit like an eyeshadow arrangement, with a mosaic of different colors, but when blended together they all work together to even out skin tone and give you a natural looking finish. [It also comes as a bronzer, if you're into that sort of thing]

Physician's Formula Powder Palette in Translucent, $12.95, PhysiciansFormula.com

Translucent, as far as I can tell, works on all skin tones, and really works to make you look as natural as possible, while still masking any imperfections you may have. The compact comes with a built-in mirror and its own little powder puff, but I prefer to use a natural bristle powder brush, which come in all different shapes and sizes, and allow you much more control over the type of coverage you're getting.

On eyes, gold eyeshadow seems to be the pick of the litter, however, I find that it doesnt look right on fairer skintones. So, I would suggest layering up a good mascara, such as MaxFactor's new Lash Perfection. It has that funky looking rubber bristle brush, which works very well at separating your lashes and adding volume. My eyelashes are fairly dark, so I normally use the blackest one I can find, but if I'm trying to play them down, I pick a dark brown.

MaxFactor Lash Perfection Mascara, price unknown, MaxFactor.com

You may also wish to line your eyes on the bottom only with either a brown or gray eyeliner.

Finally, the lips. When I first began researching this look, I didn't think it could be done keeping all face types and skintones in mind. But this product acts more like a lip stain than an actual lipstick. The best way I can describe it is tinted lipgloss in stick form, that adds natural-looking color to your lips with just a hint of sparkle. The best shade for all skintones is a light pink called Shimmering Blush. [take it from me, because I hardly ever look good in pinks]

And did I mention it has SPF 20? What better solution for looking great while still being able to enjoy the sunshine!

Neutrogena MoistureShine Soothing Lipsheers, price unknown, Neutrogena.com

Looking for that last little punch to your beauty look? Try Sally Hansen's Fire Opal Nail Glaze in Goldspun Opal. It's a shimmery, sheer, pinkish-gold tone that works great with this neutral makeup look. www.sallyhansen.com.

No comments: