Friday, March 2, 2007

Designer Spotlight: Tsumori Chisato

Now, this is a designer that I recently discovered while finishing my research on Paris, and I must say, her collection is stunning. From the reviews I've read, it isn't meeting too much fanfare with the "fashion elite," but I see alot of promise in it.
My first impression was definitely a good one, especially after seeing beautifully structured pieces such as this dress:
I've also noticed that she has a real flair for combining her ethnic influences with today's trends. This minidress is a great example. I also appreciate the fact that she pairs it with tights to give it more of a fall vibe, unlike many other designers.
I also love the ease of these pieces, from the color to the structure. These actually look street-worthy (except for the headgear of course).
This coat is equally amazing in its use of color. I wish we saw more pieces like this on the runway. It just screams functional.
My favorite piece was this ultra-feminine-looking dress, complete with a stylish print and metallic gold accents. The fact that it's paired with boots adds to its appeal for me, because I simply love that silhouette.
Normally, Asian designers tend to go a little over-the-top with their runway presentations, but I think that Tsumori does a great job in connecting the nature of the designs to the runway show itself. I only wish she were more popular in the United States!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello there, architecture girl. i love chisato. no wonder you do, too: her pieces are so architectonic, as my design professor would have said (i'm a designer-turned-writer). and they look good on all kinds of women, you don't look at them and think "criminy, only a 16 year old could get away with that."

cheers.

Jessorz said...

very true. and im pretty picky when it comes to fashion inspired by architecture, because oftentimes it just looks misplaced, but chisato really has a flair for it.