Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cruise/Resort 2009: Hits and Misses

Normally for Spring and Summer, I focus more on the swimwear aspect, because frankly, it is my favorite. However, this season I'm actually going to be perusing some of the top designer's collections (especially regarding accessories and shoes) and letting you know what to spend your hard-earned (and these days, quite stretched) dollars on.

First up, Bottega Veneta. I will have to start out by saying, I was not impressed with their handbag collection this year. There was something like 38 pieces on the online catalog (not including wallets, mind you) and they all looked basically the same, structurally and aesthetically. Of course, their running theme this season is woven leather, but they did very little else as far as details to set their bags off from the rest. And honestly, it takes a lot to make me want to spend $700 on a wallet anyway, let alone one that doesn't look or feel like it will last me more than a couple seasons.

However, there was one item which definitely caught my eye, but not because of a crazy print or kooky design. Bottega's cruise season version of the leather bootie, which is cut a little lower as well as possesses some great cutouts and lace-up detail, as well as a sturdy heel and slight platform. I think one could wear these with absolutely anything for instant sophistication. Now this is what I fell in love with about Bottega in the first place.
Bottega Veneta Lace Up Leather Platforms, $920, BottegaVeneta.com

Now for another rave: I am totally digging the direction that Louis Vuitton has taken since Marc Jacobs took the helm. He definitely brings more of a young, feel-good vibe to the brand. Two of my favorite handbags from the new collection are below:

I've never seen the use of a print like this on a Louis Vuitton bag, but this is definitely the first piece that caught my eye. The print is meant to invoke the French Riviera. (How do you say "beautiful" in French? haha.)
Louis Vuitton Galliera Riviera, $1,940, eLuxury

Another unusual take on this classic brand is this traveler tote with (of course, more French) lettering on the side. I don't think this is a part of the Resort collection simply because it doesn't feel very summery to me, but eLuxury had a lot of different pieces lumped together in one category. Either way, it's definitely worth mentioning.
Louis Vuitton Travel Shopper Traveller, $2,420, eLuxury

Now, I'm going to deviate from my handbag path for a moment, because these Vuitton shades are amazing! They have photochromic lenses, so when you are in sunlight, the lenses darken and you can see the monogram print on the outside of the lens. Snazzy!
Louis Vuitton Conspiration Pilote Sunglasses, $530, eLuxury

More Spring/Summer '09 trends to come! Stay tuned!

No comments: